Valentine’s Day is the perfect excuse to shower your partner with affection, but this doesn’t have to mean expensive gifts or activities. Here are our five favourite ways to spoil our loved ones on 14 February. They’re guaranteed to earn you major brownie points, and best of all, none of them will break the bank.
1. Give them a bunch of love notes.
The sincerest gifts come from the heart, and this sweet idea is sure to melt theirs. Write a collection of love ‘memos’ for your partner, telling them all the things you love and appreciate about them, and why they’re so special to you. You can even get a bit naughty if you like! Then roll or fold them up, attach them to bamboo skewers and tie them together with a ribbon, just like a bunch of flowers. You can also put them in a clear glass jar or a colourful box secured with a bow.
2. Spoil them at home.
You don’t need to go out on Valentine’s Day just to make it feel special. Get creative and cook a meal for your partner at home, incorporating pink and red food elements like tomato soup, spicy red curry or red velvet cupcakes. For the perfect finishing touch, light some candles and play your favourite romantic music in the background. Don’t forget chocolate for dessert – whether you melt it is up to you…
3. Treat them to a sexy experience.
Surprise your partner with a seductive strip tease or sensual massage, or invite them to join you in a candlelit bubble bath. You don’t need new underwear or expensive toys – all you need is a little imagination (and perhaps a bit of lube!). Your partner is bound to be blown away.
4. Remember that healthy is hot!
Just because it’s Valentine’s Day doesn’t mean you can throw caution to the wind when it comes to your sexual health. In fact, a meaningful way to mark the day is to get tested for STIs together. This shows your partner how much you love and respect them, and how committed you are to the relationship. It’s quick and painless, and afterwards you’re free to enjoy Valentine’s Day in any way you desire…
5. Pledge your commitment. Forget expensive gifts. The best thing you can give your partner on Valentine’s Day is your honest and full commitment to your relationship. Pledge monogamy to your partner, and stick to it every day of the year. This protects their health and yours, and gives you the freedom to enjoy an exciting and fulfilling love life based on trust and fidelity.
Make a date with Marie Stopes this Valentine’s Day
Remember that Valentine’s Day is just one day of the year: you should make an effort to show your partner how much you love and appreciate them every day.
Start by getting tested at your nearest Marie Stopes clinic – find your closest branch here or book an appointment online. We offer HIV and STI testing, as well as confidential counselling. You can also chat to us about contraceptive advice or anything else concerning your sexual health.
We wish you a happy, healthy and sexy Valentine’s Day!
Latest posts by Marie Stopes South Africa (see all)
- I AM:How Dr Marie Stopes shaped our vision and commitment to female empowerment. - August 8, 2018
- Biggest Tinder Profile Mistakes - May 9, 2018
- Do antibiotics really affect the efficacy of the pill? Here’s what you need to know - January 16, 2018