These days, we’re living incredibly busy lives. Between hectic work schedules, socialising, and squeezing in time for family, it can be almost impossible to meet your soulmate during your day to day life. That’s why lots of people are turning to online dating.
Online dating benefits people who don’t have a lot of free time, or who are too shy to put themselves out there. It might not be a traditional way to date, but it’s increasingly common and super effective. In many instances, it even helps to eliminate some of the awkward communication issues at the start of a new relationship, and can bridge physical distances between people in different areas.
If you haven’t tried it, you may just find you love it. Here’s why.
5 Great ways online dating benefits you
- It’s quick, easy and convenient. Sign up to your preferred dating website, create your profile (including as much or as little information as you feel comfortable with), then start contacting your matches. Because it’s fast, convenient and online, it’s perfect for those who have neither the time nor inclination to go on lots of traditional dates.
- It uses data to find your match. Dating websites don’t rely on guesswork – they use data and algorithms to pair people who are most likely to be a good match. While it’s not a watertight method, it does mean you’ll waste less time on people who aren’t right for you, and more time getting to know those who’ll potentially be a great fit.
- There’s less pressure. If you’re shy or introverted, online dating removes the anxiety associated with meeting a stranger in person. It gives you the opportunity to write to them instead, taking time to think about what you want to say, without the fear of rambling or blurting out the wrong thing. It also gives you the chance to become comfortable with the person by chatting to them online or over the phone before meeting them face to face, making that first date less nerve-racking and jittery.
- It gives you a chance to hone your communication skills. Let’s be honest: it’s uncomfortable sitting across from someone you have nothing in common with and trying to make conversation. Online chatting gives you the chance to work on your communication skills in your own time and at your own pace – and if you’re not connecting with the person you’re chatting to, simply move on to someone else.
- You’ll meet tons more people. When last did you randomly meet someone new with dating potential? Most adults form small, tight-knit groups of friends who hang out in the same places, with the same people. There’s very little opportunity to meet anyone outside of your friendship circle. Online dating enables you to discover new people from all over the place – and, if you’re prepared to try a long-distance relationship, all over the world. It opens up loads more romantic possibilities, making it more likely you’ll meet a quality match.
How to get started with online dating
There are loads of online dating sites in South Africa, like Datingbuzz.co.za and Love2meet.news24.com, plus apps like Tinder and OkCupid. As always, practice safe and responsible online dating, and always get tested for STIs and HIV before you start a new sexual relationship – ideally bringing your partner along too.
(Tip: Check out our blog post, Online dating tips: getting noticed and staying safe).
You can get quick, painless STI and HIV testing at Marie Stopes, as well as contraception options and advice – and we’re in your area, so you have no excuse (just like you have no more excuse to stay single if you don’t want to!).
Latest posts by Marie Stopes South Africa (see all)
- I AM:How Dr Marie Stopes shaped our vision and commitment to female empowerment. - August 8, 2018
- Biggest Tinder Profile Mistakes - May 9, 2018
- Do antibiotics really affect the efficacy of the pill? Here’s what you need to know - January 16, 2018