Does the thought of a new season put a spring in your step, or does it fill you with dread? If body issues are clouding your enjoyment of the sunnier weather, it’s time to do something about it.
Here are nine ways to start being more confident about your body so you can rock the skin you’re in – summer, winter, rain or shine.
9 ways to improve your body confidence
- Think of your body as your best friend who’s always there for you. Would you speak to your bestie the way you speak to yourself? If not, it’s time to reassess your internal dialogue.
- Take note if your mood plummets when the scale rises. Does this sound familiar? Stop letting your self-worth be determined by a number on the scale. Scales are notorious stealers of happiness.
- Stop criticising your body for the things it can’t do, and start celebrating all the things it can do, and does do for you, every day.
- Stop measuring your value based on the size of your jeans or how much you weigh. Nothing about your body or its shape determines your value as a human being.
- Hate running? Don’t do it. Want to skip the gym? Do! But do try to find a type of exercise that works for you, be it yoga, swimming or simply walking in nature.
- Acknowledge and stop using negative words to describe your body, or others’ bodies, either to yourself or when you’re with friends. Don’t engage in negative body talk with others, and stop saying these words to yourself, either in your head or out loud.
- Find at least two or three parts of your body you love, and focus on them. Pay special attention to them when choosing clothes or dressing up for a special occasion. Then compliment yourself on them, out loud! “My butt looks great in these jeans!” for example, or ‘Wow, I have really great shoulders.”
- Make a list of your proudest achievements. Notice how few of them have been influenced by your weight or your shape. Keep adding to this list and reminding yourself that your achievements have nothing to do with your size.
- Accept your body type. If you’re a short, curvy person, you’ll never be a six-foot tall supermodel, so let those impossible ideals go. Accept your shape and work with what you’ve got. There’s immense freedom – and body acceptance – in letting go of unrealistic body goals.
Bonus body confidence tip: Have a pre-summer health check to feel your best
Good health is one of the most powerful confidence boosters. When you feel great, it shows! So pop into your nearest Marie Stopes centre for a check-up, and make sure you’re in peak sexual health for summer.
Latest posts by Marie Stopes South Africa (see all)
- Do antibiotics really affect the efficacy of the pill? Here’s what you need to know - January 16, 2018
- 4 Ways to become more sex positive in 2018 - January 13, 2018
- Everything you need to know about genital herpes - January 11, 2018