We know guys constantly think about penis size. They compare with their friends and famous celebs, and fret about whether they’re ‘big enough’. Anyone who knows enough about sex and is willing to put in the effort required to have an exciting, fulfilling sex life knows that penis size doesn’t really matter; it’s what you do with it that counts.
So what about the clitoris? Does the same rule apply? If you’re not sure, or if you’ve never actually considered clitoris size before, this is for you. Read on…
Clitoris size: Do different women really have different size clits?
Surprising as it may sound, yes! Every woman’s vagina is unique and so is every clitoris. Some are larger than others, but bear in mind that most of your clit is actually hidden: this highly sensitive erogenous area is much bigger internally than it is externally.
It’s also the part of the body that is responsible for orgasms in 90% of women. Only a small percentage of women can orgasm without clitoral stimulation; most of us need our partners (or ourselves) to pay loads of attention to this area.
So, given its critical role in achieving orgasm, we have to ask…
Does clitoris size really matter?
Studies have been undertaken to investigate this very question, and while some have found that clit size could affect frequency of orgasms, there’s no definitive proof. And, if you’re suddenly worried about the size of your clitoris, don’t be.
“Clitoris size shouldn’t matter with orgasm — orgasms start in the mind,” sex and relationship coach Sienna Sinclaire told Cosmopolitan. “Many women don’t experience orgasms not because of size of their clitoris, but because they can’t let themselves just open up to the pleasures they are experiencing. They have too much on their minds, from what they look like naked or if they smell funny down there, to kids, work, house cleaning, and so on.”
If this sounds like you, the good news is that the size of your love button is mostly immaterial. There are plenty of ways you can increase the regularity and intensity of your orgasms:
- Exercise regularly.
- Find effective ways to reduce stress.
- Eat foods that naturally increase your testosterone (like coconuts, pomegranates and garlic). An increase in testosterone production has been linked to increased clit size.
- Masturbate often. This fills your body with endorphins and feel-good hormones and makes it easier for you to achieve orgasms in future.
- Take Ms Sinclaire’s advice: “There’s no right or wrong when it comes to your genital area. All women are beautiful in their own way, including clit size. Rather than worrying about what you feel like your genital area should look like, just take in all the pleasures your body is experiencing.”
Play, play, play – but always play it safe
Masturbating is a great way to enjoy sexual pleasure without putting yourself at risk of infection or unplanned pregnancy. When you opt to have sex with a partner, make sure you’re properly protected. This will not only keep you safe, but also give you peace of mind when you’re getting down. A relaxed state of mind is critical to letting go, enjoying the experience and increasing your chance of orgasm, regardless of clitoris size!
Latest posts by Marie Stopes South Africa (see all)
- Do antibiotics really affect the efficacy of the pill? Here’s what you need to know - January 16, 2018
- 4 Ways to become more sex positive in 2018 - January 13, 2018
- Everything you need to know about genital herpes - January 11, 2018