Every year in South Africa, the 16 Days of Activism campaign takes place to raise awareness about gender-based violence and violence against women and children. The aim of the campaign is to highlight abuse, challenge perpetrators to change their behaviour, and bring high-level governmental commitment to ending it. The campaign also aims to raise awareness among young boys and men in the home, and to highlight the stories of survivors.
Here are 16 more vital facts, phone numbers and ways you can assist in the 16 Days of Activism campaign.
- 16 Days of Activism takes place from 25 November to 10 December.
- This year’s theme is ‘From peace in the home to peace in the world: Let’s challenge militarism and end gender-based violence!’
- This campaign is vital in upholding the fundamental human rights of women and children, as entrenched in and protected by the Constitution. Gender-based and child violence, in all its different forms, devalues human dignity and the self-worth of the person, and it must be stopped in our society.
- Show your support by wearing a white ribbon every day during the 16-day period.
- You can learn more about the 16 Days of Activism campaign on their official Facebook page or via their website.
- If you and/or your children are being abused, contact any of the following organisations:
National Crisis Helpline (Lifeline): 0861 322 322
Stop Gender-Based Violence Helpline: 0800 150 150
People Opposed to Women Abuse (POWA): 011 642 4345
Family and Marriage Society of South Africa: 012 460 0733
National Network on Violence Against Women: 012 321 4959
- For counselling and support for children, contact Childline on 0800 055 555.
- For child support grants, call 0800 601 011.
- For health care, contact any of the following numbers:
Marie Stopes Clinics: 0800 11 77 85
Depression and Anxiety Group: 011 783 1474
AIDS helpline: 0800 012 322
AID for AIDS: 0860 100 646
- For legal assistance, contact the following organisations:
Legal Aid board: 011 845 4311
Lawyers for human rights: 011 339 1960
- For men who support no violence against women and children, contact the Men as Partners Project on 011 833 0504.
- For information on sexual harassment, contact the Sexual Harassment Education Project on 011 403 0541.
- Contact the Centre for the Study of Violence and Reconciliation on 011 403 5650.
- Contact the South African Police Service (SAPS) on 10111.
- Contact the Suicide Crisis Line on 0800 567 567.
- Lend your support to the campaign by spreading awareness of 16 Days of Activism among friends, family and co-workers, and strive to help eradicate gender-based violence in your community.
How Marie Stopes can help
At Marie Stopes, we offer confidential counselling and support to both males and females, including those affected by gender abuse. We also offer a range of sexual health services for girls and women, including contraceptives and contraceptive advice and safe, legal abortions.
Contact us now to book an appointment in a safe and private environment.
Latest posts by Marie Stopes South Africa (see all)
- HIV testing: What you need to know - April 23, 2019
- What you need to know about the morning-after pill - April 16, 2019
- Everything you need to know about endometriosis - April 9, 2019